1. Why didn't Sally hand in her homework that day?
A. Her mother was ill. B. Her teacher was ill. C. She was ill.
2. What's the most probable relationship(关系) between the two speakers?
A. Father and daughter. B. Teacher and student. C. Mother and son.
3. Who is Dave Cooper according to the conversation?
A. The man speaker. B. The woman speaker. C. A friend of the woman speaker's.
4. What does the man speaker ask the woman to do at the end of the conversation?
A. Tell Dave Cooper not to dress up.
B. Make the party very important.
C. Let Dave Cooper come to the party alone.
5. Why does the woman speaker go get Dave in the car?
A. Dave Cooper is very friendly.
B. The other friends like him very much.
C. He may lose his way coming here alone.
6. What is the speaker most probably doing now?
A. Giving a lesson. B. Holding a meeting. C. Having a party.
7. What number does the speaker tell you to write under 5?
A. 2 B. 5.5 C. 11
8. What is the last number you should write?
A. 68 B. 272 C. 391
9. Which subject is the speaker teaching?
A. Chinese. B. Chemistry. C. Math.
10. What does the speaker tell you to do at the end of the talk?
A. To have a rest. B. To do homework. C. To have a discussion.
11. — ______are you talking about?
— The Olympic Games in Beijing.
A. What B. Whom C. How D. Where
12. This is ______ only expensive dress I've got.
A. a B. an C. the D. 不填
13. — How are you today, Francis?
— Much______, but my doctor says I'll still have to rest for another few days.
A. wel1 B. good C. better D. best
14. — What's that terrible noise?
— The neighbors ______ for a party.
A. prepared B. prepare C. will prepare D. are preparing
15. As China grows stronger and stronger, Chinese _____ in more and more schools out of our country.
A. teaches B. is taught C. has taught D. was taught
16. — Is Simon coming by train?
— He should, but he _______ not. He likes driving his car.
A. may B. shall C. need D. must
17. I've got many books on Chinese food. You can borrow _____ if you like.
A. either B. one C. it D. every
18. Oh, it's you, Ella! Your voice sounds very different _____ the phone. What's happening?
A. from B. in C. of D. on
19. It's too late to go out now and _____, it's starting to rain.
A. though B. besides C. however D. instead
20. — Did you see who the driver was?
— No, the car ran so fast _______ I couldn't get a good look at his face.
A. that B. which C. as D. after
21. She read the instructions to find out how ______ the computer.
A. use B. to use C. using D. uses
22. There are more than two _______ languages spoken in Nigeria.
A. hundreds B. hundreds of C. hundred D. hundred of
23. — Would you please _______ the TV a little? Jack is doing his homework.
— Terribly sorry. I will.
A. turn down B. turn up C. turn on D. turn off
24. Afternoon tea is ______ in the dining room from 3 to 5 p. m. every day.
A. served B. burned C. cooked D. eaten
25. — Could I ask you a rather personal question?
— Of course, _____.
A. good idea B. that's right C. never mind D. go ahead
Rudi Matt lived in a small village in the Swiss Alps in 1865. What he wanted most in the world was to climb the 26 peak(山峰) in the Alps. Rudi's mother and his uncle, Franz, a mountain guide, wanted him to stop 27 and start working in a hotel. Rudi would not 28 his dream and secretly got in touch with an English mountain climber 29 was planning to climb the highest peak.
Franz was very 30 when he found out what Rudi had done, but he finally agreed to let Rudi go if he went climbing, 31 . Franz also didn't want to see Emil Saxo, a guide from another village, got to the top 32 him.
Rudi turned out to be a very good climber, 33 as they got close to the top, the Englishman got sick and could go no farther. Franz 34 behind to take care of him, but Saxo continued, wishing to be the 35 to the top. Rudi went after Saxo, hoping to 36 him to the top. When they met, Saxo fought with Rudi and fell down by accident. Saxo was helpless and hurt. Rudi must 37 whether to carry Saxo back down to safety or to continue alone to the top.
He decided Saxo's life was more 38 than his dream and helped him down. During that time, the Englishman and Franz 39 the climb, and finally they reached the top. Later, when they returned to the village, they told people that 40 was the real conqueror(征服者) of the mountain.
26. A. highest B. farthest C. biggest D. deepest
27. A. learning B. playing C. climbing D. talking
28. A. try out B. give up C. go over D. work out
29. A. what B. which C. whom D. who
30. A. tired B. glad C. quiet D. angry
31. A. again B. too C. once D. instead
32. A. after B. behind C. before D. over
33. A. but B. so C. or D. for
34. A. walked B. rested C. stayed D. watched
35. A. first B. second C. third D. last
36. A. take B. beat C. push D. help
37. A. wonder B. remember C. ask D. decide
38. A. important B. successful C. popular D. interesting
39. A. stopped B. continued C. enjoyed D. finished
40. A. Franz B. Saxo C. the Englishman D. Rudi
Two people sit down to play Go(围棋). One of the players is an old man. He is now 89 years old. He has spent all of his life playing this game. The other person is a young woman. She has been playing Go for only three years. Before this, the woman was an expert at playing computer games. Now she plays Go the same way she played computer games by becoming a machine herself.
They will play many games, until they know who the winner is. The woman shows no feelings but thinking about all the possible ways of placing her next stone. The old man, on the other hand, looks at the movements of her hands and of her face. This has always helped him to win.
He wins the first three games. She wins the next game, and the man is surprised. He has never lost to a woman. The old man worries about the way the young woman is playing the game. He can't read her face; he does not understand her way of playing.
"The way I think about the game" says the woman, "is that it is steps for getting what I want." Again, the old man is surprised. For him, the game is a way of life itself, and not a model of life.
"There is no more beauty any longer. Everything is science and rules. Everything is about winning. Nothing is about playing" he says.
They cannot agree with each other; but it is not necessary.
"Change is a necessary part of life" thinks the man.
"Playing is as important as winning" thinks the woman.
They start to play their final game.
41. According to the passage, the Go games are played by ______.
A. two Go beginners B. two Go lovers C. father and daughter D. husband and wife
42. Before the woman plays Go, she was ______.
A. a computer game player B. a computer science teacher
C. a computer engineer D. a computer store owner
43. Which of the following is true according to the passage?
A. The old man loses the third game to the woman.
B. The old man wins all the games against the woman.
C. The woman has her own way of playing Go.
D. The woman is very slow in learning how to play Go.
44. From the passage we can know ________.
A. the old man doesn't care who the winner is
B. the woman pays no attention to the steps
C. the old man learns something from the woman
D. the woman loses the last game to the old man
45. What is the best title of the passage?
A. An Old Go Player B. A Strange Woman C. A Boring Game D. Winning or Playing?
Why do plants grow in some places and not in others? Why does some land have so much growing on it, while other land has almost no plants growing on it at all?
To grow, plants need several things. One is warmth. In very cold places almost nothing grows. Plants also need water. In very dry parts of the Earth only a few unusual plants can grow. That's why dry deserts everywhere are almost not covered by trees or grass.
Plants must also have a place in which to put down their roots and grow. They find it difficult to grow on hard land. The town is built on hard land. The plants here have only the soil found between the cracks of the stones to grow in.
Another thing plants must have before they can grow is food.
What will happen if we try to make things grow on the sandy beach? A few plants, such as beach grass, will grow in sand, but most plants won't. Even if the weather is warm enough and we water the plants each day, many of them will die because the sand on this beach has almost no food for plants.
46. According to the passage, plants need ______ things to grow well.
A. two B. three C. four D. five
47. What does the underlined word "cracks" mean in the text?
A. 缝隙 B. 表面 C. 夹层 D. 底部
48. From the passage, we can know it is for plants to grow in dry places.
A. easy B. difficult C. impossible D. important
49. The reason why most plants can't grow on the sandy beach is that _______.
A. there isn't enough sunlight B. there is too much water
C. it is too crowded there D. it has little food for plants
50. The passage can most probably be found in a ______book.
A. science B. history C. travel D. math
第二节：Michael, Tim, Peter, Gina 和Sarah正在各自打算去参观一座名塔。请仔细阅读第51—55题中的个人情况说明和A到E五座名塔的介绍，选出符合各人要求的最佳选项。
51. Tim, from America, is "traveling around the world. His last stop is to visit a tower where he can spend the night.
52. Michael, a student of history, is ready to write a paper on old towers. He is going to visit one in Europe.
53. Gina, a teacher from Australia, likes shopping very much. She is thinking of buying different things for her students.
54. Sarah is a college student. She is on holiday in July and would like to visit the tallest tower of the five below.
55. Peter is interested in plants and animals. He is now looking for a tower where he can see fish and other water animals.
CN Tower Toronto, Canada
● built in 1975
● 1,815 feet tall
● 2 million visitors a year
● a wonderful restaurant
Oriental Pearl Tower
● built in 1995
● 1,535 feet tall
● a TV station
● a 20-room hotel
Tokyo Tower, Japan
● built 1959
● 1,092 feet tall
● an aquarium (水族馆)
● painted orange and white
The Petronas Towers,
● built in 1997
● 1,483 feet tall
● a sky-bridge
● a large shopping center
Pisa Leaning Tower, Italy
● built in 1350
● 180 feet tall
● a bell tower
something, not, tree, simply, spend, you, why, that, they, if, little, go, in, on, protect
The Earth needs a helping hand
The Earth is getting warmer because of the activities of people. We cut down and burn 56 and send gases into the air with our cars and factories. Can we do anything about it? Sure. We may 57 be leaders or scientists but we can play our part in 58 the planet. Here are two ideas.
Bike, don't ride to school
Do you 59 to school by bus or by bike? If you bike, you are doing 60 for the Earth. Buses, cars, trains and planes produce a lot of carbon dioxide (二氧化碳). If you live near to your school, 61 not bike there on warm spring mornings? Or, you can 62 walk to school to save energy.
Wash the green way
Do you help your mom and dad wash clothes? Then wash them 63 an energy-saving way. A recent study by Cambridge University found 64 60 percent of the energy used on a piece of clothing is 65 in washing and drying it. Over it a lifetime, a T-shirt can send up to 4 kilograms of carbon dioxide into the air.
66 you wash your own clothes, wash them in cold or warm water to save energy, but not hot water. Wash your clothes when 67 fill up the machine. Use the most energy-saving machine you can find. Some new ones use as 68 as one-fourth of the energy of older machines. When they're clean, dry 69 clothes the natural way, by hanging them 70 a line rather than putting them in a dryer. In all, you can cut the carbon dioxide used in washing by 90 percent.
71. They spent so much m _ buying a new flat that they didn't have any left over for a holiday.
72. September is the n month of the year, after August and before October.
73. — Here's your coffee.
— T you very much.
74. I'll show you my answers if you'll show me y .
75. The children are always h when they get home from school. They want something to eat.
76. Thousands of turtles(海龟) move onto the beach and l their eggs in the sand.
77. I hate having to get up too e in the morning. I always feel not having enough sleep.
78. Don't play with fire. It's far too d .
79. I don't remember w I have left my keys at home or in the car.
80. Nobody is q sure how many bikes there are in Hangzhou.
假如你叫Liu Mei。前不久，你和来自英国的一位中学生Allen一起讨论了一个话题：the ways to learn English better。现请你根据他的观点和你自己的观点，用英语给你的外籍老师Mr Nunan写一篇关于这次讨论的汇报材料。
1. reading English newspapers
2. talking with friends in English
3. seeing English films
Recently I have had a discussion about the ways to learn English better with Allen, a student from Britain.