1. To remember the new words
Kingdom. province, conflict, union, credit, currency, institution, convenience, nationwide, architecture, collection, administration, port, countryside, description, furnished, fax, wedding
2. To master the following new words and expressions
unite ,clarify, accomplish, unwilling, roughly, attract, enjoyable, possibility, plus, quarrel, alike, arrange, fold, consist of, divide into, break away(from), to one’s credit, leave out, be known as, as well as, keep your eyes open
3.To master the sentence patterns
① to their credit the four countries do work together in some areas
② it is pity that…..
4. To understand the usage of the tense in the following sentences.
① First there was England. (line4)
② there has been four sets of invaders of England, (line 29)
5. To understand and learn to use the useful structures.
Have/get/find/… …+ object +past participle
Accurately understand and use the new words and expressions in Aim 2 and the useful structures in Aim 5
Difficulty Aim 4
Observe the language points listed in learning aims(2-5) in the context
Step1 Reading and observing
Read the passage ,observe the language points carefullyand find out your language problems.
Raise your language problems and discuss them in groups of four.
Step3 Learning about language
1. Discover useful words and expressions on page 12.
2. Discover useful structures on page 13
Step4 Multiple choice
1. It is reported that the Group of Eight (G8)______ the eight richest countries in the world.
A. consist of B. consists of C. are consisted of D. is consisted of
2. First, he ________ the good apples from the bad ones and second ,he _______ a good one into two parts.
A. divided;divided B. divided;separated
C. separated,separated D. separated ;divided
3. You should _______ the facts related to this problem ,which can make others know you are innocent.
A. judge B. explain C. express D. clarify
4. What do you intend to do when you are _______with your college education?
A. done B. accomplished C. graduated D. completed
5. There appeared to be a war between his heart and his head ,and you could almost watch this _______ going on
A.flight B. conflict C. disagreement D. argument
6. At last the mad woman seemed to be controlled ,suddenly she _______ her husband and ran to the wall.
A. broke into B. broke down
C. broke away from D. broke out
7.The company is starting a new advertising campaign to _________ new customers to its stores.
A. gain B. attract C. receive D. achieve
8.When I returned home, I found the window________ and something_______.
A. open; stolen B. opening; stealing C. opened; missed D.openng; missing
9.The headmaster spoke at the meeting for about two hours without _____ his notes.
A. according B. looking up C. looking for D. referring to
10.Don’t blame me again.I shall get the book _____ to you next time.
A. to mail B. mailing C. mail D. mailed
11.An awful traffic accident _____,however ,occur the other day.
A. did B. had done C. was D. does
12.Many great men have risen from poverty –Lincoln and Edison,_________.
A. such as B. that is C. for example D. and so on
13._______ is well known _______ Hong Kong returned to China on July 1st, 1997.
A. It ;that B. As ; that C. what; that D. it ;as
14. If it is quite ____ to you, I will visit you next Tuesday.
A. convenient B. fair C. easy D. comfortable
15. My most famous relative of all,______ who really left his mark on American ,was Reb Sussel,my great grandfather.
A.one B. the one C. he D. someone
16._______ felt funny watching myself on TV
A. One B. This C. It D. That
17. The English spoken in the United States is only slightly different from _______ spoken in England.
A. which B. what C. that D. the one
18. Mr Smith owns ______ collection of coins than anyone else I have ever met.
A. larger B. a larger C. the larger D. a large
19. You should understand the traffic rule by now. You have had it ____ often enough.
A. explaining B. to explain C. explain D. explained
20. A typhoon swept across this area with heavy rains and winds _____ strong as 113 miles per hour.
A. too B. very C. so D.as