In the middle of the night, Peter's wife suddenly fell ill. She couldnt help crying,① “Oh, my stomach (胃)! Get the 1 !”
Peter, awaking from a deep sleep, thought his wife was only having a 2 dream.
“Stop that noise.” he said to her. He turned over② and tried to go to 3 again, but his wife still cried out, “Oh, help! Help! I'm sure I'm 4 !”
Peter got out of bed and started 5 , but he could not find him any clothes.
“Where is my shirt?” he asked. His wife was 6 ill to tell him, and she could only cry, “Oh, my 7 stomach!”
As soon as he had put his clothes 8 , he said, “Now, my dear, are you quite 9that you need the doctor? Surely you can wait 10 morning, can't you?”
“No, I can't. Go, go, go.” his wife shouted,“ 11 you will find me dead 12 the morning.”
So Peter went out into the dark street. He had only gone a few meters 13 he heard his wife calling him again.
“I'm 14 again now, and I shall not want the doctor.” she said softly.
Hearing this, he started running as 15 as he could towards the doctor's. When he arrived there, he knocked at the door loudly enough to wake 16 around.
The doctor put his sleepy head out of the bedroom window and said, “Er? Who's there?”
“Oh, Doctor.”Peter said to him, “I've very 17 news for you. My wife 18 ill with a terrible stomachache (胃疼). I was on my way to bring you to her, but she called me back to say the trouble had suddenly 19 her. So you need not come. Go back to 20 now,and sleep well!”
1. A. driverB. nurseC. doctorD. child
2. A. terrible B. interesting C. surprisingD. wonderful
3. A. bed B. sleep C. dreamD. hospital
4. A. walking B. dying C. achingD. sleeping
5. A. dressing B. wearing C. raisingD. working
6. A. very B. so C. tooD. quite
7. A. good B. bad C. wrongD. poor
8. A. down B. off C. onD. up
9. A. surprised B. afraid C. certainD. worried
10. A. before B. for C. to D. until
11. A. And B. But C. SoD. Or
12. A. after B. in C. beforeD. until
13. A. after B. when C. beforeD. while
14. A. good B. wrong C. all rightD. right
15. A. fast B. slowly C. hurriedlyD. happily
16. A. everyone B. someone C. no oneD. doctors
17. A. good B. bad C. necessaryD. ill
18. A. fell B. stayed C. grewD. failed
19. A. gone B. missed C. disappearedD. left
20. A. your home B. your bedroom
C. your dreamD. bed
①She couldnt help crying.
②turn over 翻身或翻转。
1. C. 文中第二段提到“...was driving home from work.”。
2. B. 第二段中提到“He slowed down when he came to the main road...”。
3. C. 根据文章意思，Mr Williams 只需要慢行，不必停下来。
4. B. 根据文中“I'm in the wrong street!”可知警察最后知道是他自己弄错了。