In the study of English, some students seem to be more successful than others. Some may find it very hard to study English well. They are often puzzled about the question: Why can’t I study English well while others can? Now I would like to use mnemonics to help my readers get the key to solving the problem.
In the following box, vertically you can see the word “SUCCESSFUL”. Using these letters as initials you can get the ten words: self-esteem, utmost, confidence, co-operative, exploring, studious, strict, faith, unremitting and love. The ten words are the very key to leading you to become a successful learner of English.
1. Self-esteem Having self-esteem or self-respect in your study, you will work as a master rather than a slave. That means you need to work out a plan for your study and keep adjusting it when necessary. That is the real meaning of autonomous learning.
2. Utmost Do your utmost in all the learning activities inside or outside the classroom. Remember to learn by doing, and take an active part in the activities.
3. Confident Always take a positive attitude towards your mistake or failure. Failure is the mother of success, so do not lose heart, but be bold enough to continue your effort. You are sure to gradually make progress and reach your final target. Be always confident of yourself.
4. Co-operative Communication is the purpose of your English learning, and interaction is the heart of communication. Interaction does not only happen between the teacher and students, but more among you and your peers. Therefore, working with your partners co-operatively is very important. Besides, mutual help is a good virtue humans should have.
5. Exploring Studying English is, in a way, like a process of discovering and exploring a new world. You have to think and find out new knowledge—vocabulary, grammar, culture, etc. You should train yourself to be imaginative, creative and critical when you express your ideas in English.
6. Studious To get a good command of the English language is just like to climb a high mountain. Without working studiously, you will never be successful. Keep the saying in mind: No pains, no gains.
7. Strict Try to cultivate a strict style of working and form a good habit of learning. Once you decide to do something, you must persist in doing it. For instance, keep a diary in English, do a bit of reading every day, speak English whenever and wherever possible,...
8. Faith If you have a strong belief that you will work for your country or an international organization with English, you will have a motivation for your study. With faith, aspiration or goal in your mind, you will always be well motivated.
9. Unremitting Throughout the English course, you definitely encounter lots of difficulties. However, they will make way if you never give in and work unremittingly with perseverance.
10. Love When you realize how beautiful and useful the English language is, you will certainly love it. The more you work at it, the more interested you will get in it.
The above ten words can serve as the key to the door of the English treasure house. Once you enter the house, you will be overjoyed to enjoy the treasure in it. At that time you will be able to experience the feeling of being a successful learner of English.