An old friend from California called from the airport to tell me that he had arrived. I was not able to leave the office, but I had made plans for his arrival. After explaining where my new house was, I told him that I had left the key under the doormat. Since I knew it would be pretty late before I could get home, I suggested that he make himself at home and help himself to anything that was in the refrigerator.
Two hours later my friend phoned me from the house. At the moment, he said, he was listening to some of my records after having had a delicious meal. Now, he said, he was drinking a glass of orange juice. When I asked him if he had had any difficulty finding the house, he answered that the only problem was that he had not been able to find the key under the doormat, but luckily, the living room window by the apple tree had been left open and he had climbed in through the window. I listened to all this in great surprise. There is no apple tree outside my window, but there is one by the living room window of my nextdoor neighbor's house!
1. An old friend of mine called ______.
A. to tell me to meet him at the airport
B. to tell me about his arrival
C. to ask me to leave the office
D. to ask me to make plans for his arrival
2. My friend climbed into the room because ______ .
A. there was an apple tree outside
B. the living room window was left open
C. he had difficulty opening the door
D. he hadn't found the key
3. My friend telephoned me two hours later ______ .
A. from my home
B. at the airport
C. in his office
D. from my neighbor's house
① I suggested that he make himself at home and help himself to anything that was in the refrigerator.
Reading time: ______
Reading speed: ______
② I listened to all this in great surprise.
in surprise 意为“吃惊地”。
If you know me well, you know I don't like birthday parties. At least, I don't like birthday parties given for me. I enjoy them when theyre for other people, but when theyre for me, I just don't like them.
I remember one birthday party some friends of mine had for me when I was a student at the university. Of course, I had told my best friend Henry that I didn't want a party and I made him promise he wouldn't do anything. He agreed. I should have known better than to believe him.
On the day of my birthday, we got home from school at about, oh, I don't know, three or half past three. We went inside and as usual I went into the bathroom and started to close the door when suddenly from behind the shower curtain, a kind of strange female voice started singing, “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you.”
And then from all over the room, people joined in. There were about fifteen people hiding everywhere in the room.
They had got my roommate's key and got in earlier. They had all planned to come out of the hiding place just at the same time while singing. I guess I really upset their plans by going in just to wash my hands.
1. Which of the following sentences is NOT true?
A. I got home from school at 3 or 3:30 on the day of my birthday.
B. I dislike birthday parties held for me.
C. Henry agreed that he would not do anything on my birthday.
D. I knew there were some of my friends hiding in my room.
2. I usually went into the ______ when I got home from school.
3. What did my friends plan to do?
A. They planned to leave the room as soon as possible.
B. They planned to sing as loudly as they could.
C. They planned to eat in the bathroom.
D. They had planned to come out of hiding places together.
① At least, I don't like birthday parties given for me.
Reading time: ______
Reading speed: ______
② I should have known better than to believe him.
should have known是虚拟语气，意为“本应知道而未知”。
③ I really upset their plans by going in...
by doing sth.
In choosing a friend, one should be very careful. A good friend can help you study. You can have fun together and make each other happy. Sometimes you will meet fairweather friends. They will be with you as long as you have money or luck, but when you are down, they will run away. How do I know when I have found a good friend? I look for certain qualities of character, especially understanding, honesty and reliability.
Above all else, I look for understanding in a friend. A good friend tries to understand how another person is feeling. He is not quick to judge. Instead, he tries to learn from others. He puts himself in the other person's place, and he tries to think of ways to be helpful. He is also a good listener.
At the same time, however, a good friend is honest. He does not look for faults in others. He notices their good points. In short, a friend will try to understand me and accept me.
Another quality of a friend is reliability. I can always depend on a good friend. If he tells me he will meet me somewhere at a certain time, I can be sure that he will be there. If I need a favor, he will do his best to help me. If I am in trouble, he will not run away from me.
There is a fourth quality that makes a friend special. A special friend is someone with whom we can have fun. We should enjoy our lives, and we would enjoy our friendship. That is why I especially like friends who are fun to be with. A good friend likes the same things I like. We share experience and learn from each other. A good friend has a good sense of humor, too. He likes to laugh with me. That is how we share in the joy of being friends. And I know that he is looking for the same quality in me.
When I meet someone who is reliable, honest, and understanding, I know I've found a friend!
1. Which of the following qualities the writer thinks is the most important in choosing a friend?
D. a sense of humor.
2. If you have fairweather friends, ______ .
A. they will give you all that they have when you need help
B. you will be refused when you get into trouble
C. you will become rich
D. you can be sure that you get real friends
3. Good friends need to ______.
A. always point out each other's mistakes
B. be helped with money
C. understand each other's feelings
D. have money or luck
4. This passage mainly discuss ______ .
A. the qualities of a friend
B. where to choose friends
C. how to get along with friends
D. the importance of having a friend
①Sometimes you will meet fairweather friends.
②In short, a friend will try to understand me
Reading time: ______
Reading speed: ______
and accept me. 总之，一个朋友会尽量理解我、接受我。
in short 意为“简而言之”。
③A special friend is someone with whom we can have fun.
with whom we can have fun是定语从句，修饰someone。
There are many kinds of friends. Some are always 1 you, but don't understand you. Some say only a few words to you, but understand you. Many people will step in your life, but only 2 friends leave footprints (脚印).
I shall always recall (回忆) the autumn and the girl with the 3 . She will always bring back the friendship between us. I know she will always be my best friend.
It was the golden season. I could see the yellow leaves 4 on the cool 5 . In such a season, I liked walking alone in the leaves, 6 to the sound of them.
Autumn is a 7 season and life is uninteresting. The free days always get me 8 . But one day, the sound of a violin 9 into my ears like a stream (小溪) flowing in the mountains. I was so surprised that I jumped to see what it was. A young girl, standing in the wind, was 10 in playing her violin.
I had 11 seen her before. The music was so nice that I listened quietly. Lost in the music, I didn't know that I had been 12 there for so long but my existence (存在) did not seem to disturb her.
Leaves were still falling. Every day she played the violin in the corner of the building 13 I went downstairs to watch her performance. I was the only listener. The autumn seemed no longer lonely and life became 14 . 15 we didn't know each other, I thought we were already good friends. I believe she also loved me.
Autumn was nearly over. One day, when I was listening carefully, the sound suddenly 16 . To my astonishment (惊讶), the girl came over to me.
“You must like violin.” she said.
“Yes. And you play very well. Why did you stop?” I asked.
Suddenly, a 17 expression appeared on her face and I could feel something unusual.
“I came here to see my grandmother, but now I must leave. I once played very badly. It was your listening every day that 18 me.” she said.
“In fact, it was your playing 19 gave me a meaningful autumn,②” I answered, “Let's be friends.”
The girl smiled, and so did I.
I never heard her play again in my life. I no longer went downstairs to listen like before. Only thick leaves were left behind. But I will always remember the fine figure (身影) of the girl. She is like a 20 —so short, so bright, like a shooting star giving off so much light③ that it makes the autumn beautiful.
1. A. withB. forC. againstD. to
2. A. good B. true C. new D. old
3. A. sound B. song C. play D. violin
4. A. shaking B. hanging C. falling D. floating
5. A. wind B. snow C. air D. rain
6. A. watching B. listening C. seeing D. hearing
7. A. lively B. lovely C. harvest D. lonely
8. A. up B. off C. down D. over
9. A. flowed B. grew C. entered D. ran
10. A. lost B. active C. busy D. interested
11. A. once B. never C. often D. usually
12. A. waiting B. stopping C. standing D. hearing
13. A. because B. so C. when D. but
14. A. interesting B. moving C. encouraging D. exciting
15. A. But B. However C. Even D. Though
16. A. stopped B. began C. gone D. changed
17. A. happy B. sad C. strange D. surprised
18. A. surprised B. excited C. encouraged D. interested
19. A. that B. which C. it D. who
20. A. song B. dream C. fire D. sister
①Lost in the music“沉浸在琴声中” be lost in sth. 意为“陷入……之中”。
②In fact, it was your playing that gave me a meaningful autumn.
③...like a shooting star giving off so much light.
1. B. 由第一段第一句 “...called...to tell me that he had arrived.”可知。
2. D. 细节题，由第二段 “...he had not been able to find the key...”可知。
3. D. 以第二段朋友所说的“apple tree”为线索，推知朋友误入邻居家。
1. D. 由第三段 “I went into the bathroom...when suddenly from behind...”可知“我”并不知情。
2. C. 由第二段 “We went inside and as usual I went into the bathroom...” 推知。
3. D. 由最后一段 “They had all planned to come out of...just at the same time”推知。
1. A. 四个品质中理解最重要。above all else意为“最重要；首先”。
2. B. 不能与你共患难的朋友在你遇到麻烦时会拒绝向你提供帮助。
3. C. 好朋友应相互理解。
4. A. 本文的主题是好朋友所具备的四个品质。
1. A. 结合后面一句可知，“许多人与你在一起(with you)，却不能理解你”。
2. B. 只有真正的朋友，才能留在心中。
3. D. 结合后面的内容可知，“我”每天去听小姑娘拉小提琴。
4. D. 金黄的树叶在秋风中随风飘动。
5. A. 叶子是在风中飘动。
6. B. 现在分词用作伴随状语。
7. C. 秋天本是收获的季节，但是此处“我”却独自一人漫步在落叶之上，与下文的生活的无趣相对应。
8. C. 短语 get sb. down 意为“使人泄气；使人疲倦”。
9.A. 琴声像山涧溪流一样，流进(flow into)“我”的耳畔。
10. A. 短语be lost in (doing) sth. “陷入……之中”。此处指小姑娘正在聚精会神地拉小提琴。
11. B. 结合上下文可知，“我”以前与小姑娘素不相识。
12. C. “我”沉浸在优美的琴声中，不自觉地在风中伫立。
13. C. 从下文可知，“我”并不是听到琴声才下楼，而是因为两人心有灵犀，每次几乎是在小姑娘拉琴的同时，“我”也到了楼下。因此这里应用when。
14. A. 与上文的“生活无趣”相对，琴声让“我”觉得“生活有趣”。
15. D. 从整个句意来看，这里是一个让步状语从句。though表“尽管”，合乎文意。
16. A. 与平日不同，琴声突然停止，小姑娘朝“我”走来，让“我”惊讶。
17. B. 由下文可知，小姑娘即将离开，故脸上闪现出悲伤的神色。
18. C. 在小姑娘眼中，“我”每天来听琴对她是一种无声的激励。
19. A. 此处是一个强调句型。
20. B. 结合全文的意思可知，在“我”看来，小姑娘就像一个梦，让“我”久久难忘。
1.When I asked him if he had had any difficulty finding the house...当我问他找房子是否有困难时…… (Line 14, Passage A)
have difficulty (in) doing sth. 意为“在做某事方面有困难”，也可以说：have trouble (in) doing sth. 如：
I have some difficulty understanding him. 我理解他有些困难。
Did you have any trouble in finding his house? 你找到他家有困难吗？
英语中还有have difficulty with sth. 和have trouble with sth. 如：
I dont have much difficulty with English grammar.
I hope you won't have any trouble with the work.
2.The girl smiled, and so did I. 小姑娘笑了，我也笑了。(Line 29, Passage D)
“So + be(have，助动词或情态动词)+ (另一)主语 ”用于表示某人与前者具有相同的肯定情况，意为“某人也一样”。如：
I like dogs; so does he. 我喜欢狗，他也如此。
He can speak good English and so can she. 他能说一口好英语，她也能。
—Jack won the first prize in the contest. 杰克在比赛中获一等奖。
—So he did. 确实如此。