What do you think of British people and American people? You might think that there are no differences between the people in the two countries. After all they speak the same language, don't they? But if you ask a British or an American person, the differences are quite great.
What do British people think Americans are like? The British think Americans are very strange. They make a lot of noise and they laugh too loudly. They are rich, and they only think about money. But the British do say that Americans are kind, friendly people.① They are happy to help you if you are in trouble.
What do Americans think of the British? Well, they think the British are cold and very unfriendly. They are not interested in success or in making lots of money. They think Britain is the best country in the world. They look down upon other countries. But Americans say that the British are quite good workers. They are brave and honest. And in time of trouble they face difficulties happily.
You can see that these ideas can cause misunderstanding between the British and Americans.② But when American and British people become friends, they usually find things are not as bad as they expected.
1. What do you think of the differences between British and American people?
A. Their differences are very small.
B. The differences are very great.
C. There are no differences between them.
D. Some people think there are, but some people dont think so.
2. What do the British think Americans are like?
A. They are strange but friendly.B. They are poor.
C. They are rich but unfriendly.D. They are happy in trouble.
3. The American and British people usually get along quite well ____.
A. when misunderstanding is caused between them
B. once they become friends
C. after they fight
D. when they help each other
① But the British do say that Americans are kind, friendly people.
② You can see that these ideas can cause misunderstanding between the British and Americans.
Some British and American people like to invite friends for a meal at home. But you should not be upset (难受的) if your English friends don't invite you home. It doesn't mean they don't like you!
Dinner parties usually start between 7 and 8 p.m., and end at about 11. Ask your hosts what time you should arrive. It's polite to bring flowers, chocolates or a bottle of wine as a gift.
Usually the evening starts with drinks and snacks(小吃). Do you want to be more polite? Say how much you like the room, or the picture on the wall. But remember—its not polite to ask how much things cost.
In many families, the husband sits at one end of the table and the wife sits at the other end. They eat with their guests.
You'll probably start the meal with soup or something small, then you'll have meat or fish with vegetables, and then dessert, followed by coffee. It's polite to finish everything on your plate and to take more if you want it.②
Did you enjoy the evening? Call your hosts the next day, or write them a short thankyou letter. British and American people like to say “ Thank you, thank you, thank you.”all the time!
1. If you are going to attend a dinner party,____ .
A. youd better bring a certain present with you
B. you must leave home for it at 7 p.m.
C. you should ask your host when you should leave
D. you must arrive at it before 8 p.m.
2. In which order will you eat or drink the following things at the meal?
A. Snacks, vegetables, meat and coffee.
B. Coffee, drinks, soup, fish, vegetables and dessert.
C. Soup, meat with vegetables, dessert and coffee.
D. Drinks, soup, something small, fish and vegetables.
3. Which is the correct way in which you express your enjoyment of the evening?
A. Before leaving for home, you should say, “Thank you for inviting me.”
B. When you shake hands with your host, you should say, “I did enjoy the evening.”
C. You can write a thankyou letter to your host after that.
D. You should finish everything on your plate and take more if you want it.
① Usually the evening starts with drinks and snacks.
Reading speed: ____
② Its polite to finish everything on your plate and to take more if you want it.
If you ask some people, “How did you learn English so well?” you may get a surprising answer: “In my sleep!”
These are people who have taken part in one of the recent experiments (实验) to test the learnwhileyousleep method (方法), which is now being tried in several countries, and with several subjects. English is among them.
Scientists say that this sleepstudy method greatly speeds language learning. They say that the ordinary person can learn two or three times as much during sleep as in the same period during the day—and this does not affect (影响) his rest in any way. However, sleepteaching will only put into your head what you have studied already while you are awake.①
In one experiment, ten lessons were broadcast over the radio for two weeks. Each lesson lasted twelve hours — from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. The first three hours of English grammar and vocabulary (词汇) were given with the students awake. At 11 p.m. a lullaby (催眠曲) was broadcast to send the student to sleep and for the next three hours the radio in a soft and low voice broadcast the lesson again into his sleeping ears. At 2 a.m. a sharp noise was sent over the radio to wake the sleeping student up for a few minutes to go over the lesson. The soft music sent him back to rest again while the radio went on.② At 5 oclock his sleep ended and he had to go through the lesson again for three hours before breakfast.
1. By the learnwhileyousleep method, one____ .
A. starts to learn a new lesson in sleep
B. learns how to sleep better
C. is made to remember his lesson in sleep
D. can listen to the radio broadcast while lying in bed
2. In the experiment, lessons were given____ .
A. in the night time
B. after lullabies were broadcast
C. while the student was awake
D. all through the twelve hours
3. Before each lesson finishes, the student has to____ .
A. get up and take breakfast
B. be woken up by a loud voice
C. listen to the lesson again in sleep
D. review (复习) the lesson by himself
4. The sleepstudy method is being tried in many countries to teach____ .
A. the English language
B. grammar and vocabulary
C. a number of subjects
D. foreign languages
① However, sleepteaching will only put into your head what you have studied already while you are awake. 然而，睡眠教学法只会使你记住清醒时已学过的东西。
Reading speed: ____
② The soft music sent him back to rest again while the radio went on.
Many people who work in London want to live outside it and to go to their offices, factories or schools every day by train, car or bus, even though this 1 they have to get up earlier in the morning and reach 2 later in the evening.①
One benefit (好处) of living outside London is that houses are 3 . Even a small flat (公寓) in London without a garden costs quite a lot 4 . With the same money, one can get a little house in the country with a garden of 5 own. Then, in the country one can be 6 from the noise and hurry of the town. 7 one has to get up earlier and spend more time in trains or buses, one can sleep 8 at night, and, during weekends and 9 summer evenings, one can enjoy the 10 clean air of the country. If one 11 gardens, one can spend one's 12 time digging, planting, watering and doing the hundred and one other jobs which are 13 in the garden.② Then, when the flowers and vegetables 14 , one has the reward (回报) of a person who has shared the secrets of 15 .
Some people, however, take no interest in country things;③for them, 16 lies in the town, with its cinemas and theatres, beautiful shops and busy streets, dancehalls and restaurants. Such people would 17 that their life was not worth 18 if they had to live it outside London. A walk in one of the parks and a visit 19 the sea every summer is all the country they 20.
1. A. showsB. expressesC. meansD. needs
2. A. home B. family C. flatD. house
3. A. cleaner B. nicer C. biggerD. cheaper
4. A. money B. to lend C. to borrowD. to hire
5. A. himB. its C. onesD. their
6. A. free B. farC. outD. absent
7. A. If B. Although C. BecauseD. After
8. A. little B. less C. longerD. better
9. A. on B. for C. at D. by
10. A. coldB. warm C. freshD. pleasant
11. A. prefers B. likes C. wantsD. interests
12. A. day B. rest C. spareD. whole
13. A. made B. brought C. carriedD. needed
14. A. come on B. come to C. come upD. come over
15. A. work B. society C. scienceD. nature
16. A. health B. happiness C. wealthD. future
17. A. know B. feel C. understandD. hope
18. A. wasting B. finding C. livingD. spending
19. A. for B. to C. ofD. at
20. A. hope B. wish C. askD. want
① Many people who work in London want to live outside it..., even though this means they have to get up earlier in the morning and reach home later in the evening.
② ...doing the hundred and one other jobs which are needed in the garden.
③ Some people, however, take no interest in country things.
1. A. 由第二段“Its polite to bring...as a gift.”得知。
2. C. 按第三、五两段中提出的进餐顺序可选出答案。
3. C. 四个选项中只有C符合文末提出的感谢宴请的方式。
1. C. 据第三段最后一句可知。
2. A. 据第四段可知，收音机授课是从晚上八点到早晨八点。
3. C. 据第四段第四句 “...the radio...broadcast the lesson again into his sleeping ears” 可推知。
4. C. 据第二段可知这种方法正在好几门功课中进行尝试。
1. C. 住在郊外就意味着早晨早起去上班。
2. A. 到家用reach home，其他词需用the。
3. D. 从下文看，郊外的房屋便宜。
4. D. 房子不是借而是租用。
5. C. 与句子主语一致，of ones own 意为“属于自己的”。
6. B. 意为“远离……”。
7. B. 根据下文应是转折让步关系。
8. D. 从上文“...far from the noise and hurry of the town.” 可看出，睡得好。
9. A. 具体哪一天的上午、下午、晚上，要用on。
10. C. 乡下的空气清新、无污染。
11. B. 喜欢花园才会有下文的种花。
12. C. spare time意为“空闲时间”。
13. D. 前面列举的“...digging...the hundred and one other jobs.”都是花园里所需要干的活。
14. C. come up意为“长出来”。
15. D. 在花园中养花、种花，涉及的是大自然的奥秘。
16. B. 在城市中才有快乐。lie in...意为“在于……”。
17. B. 此处强调的是“感受”。
18. C. be worth doing 意为“值得做……”。live a...life意为“过着……的生活”。
19. B. a visit to some place意为“ 去某地游览”。
20. D. 不可以说hope, wish 或ask sth. 。
1. Usually the evening starts with drinks and snacks. 通常晚宴都是以饮料和小吃开始的。(Line 7, Passage B)
“以……开始”可用start with... 或begin with... 来表达；“以……结束”可用end (up) with... 或close with... 来表达。如：At the dinner we usually begin with soup and end up with fruit. 在宴会上，开始的一道菜通常是汤，最后的一道是水果。 In a word, the long March ended (up) with victory for us and defeat for the enemy. 总而言之，长征以我们的胜利，敌人的失败而告终。
2. With the same money, one can get a little house in the country with a garden of one's own. 用同样的钱，一个人可以在乡下买到一幢有属于自己的花园的小屋子。(Line 5, Passage D)
of one's own 意为“属于自己的”。Hed like a car of his own. 他想有辆属于自己的汽车。on one's own 意为“独自地；单独地”。She lives on her own. 她独自过日子。with one's own eyes 意为“亲眼”。I saw it with my own eyes. 那是我亲眼所见。on one's own time 意为“用自己的课余时间”。 If you want to play football, youll have to do it on your own time. 如果你想踢足球，你只能用课余时间去踢。